oversees the day to day dining as well as the kitchen operations. under the supervision of the Executive
Chef, supervises the staff of the kitchen, participates in the training and
development of staff. The Sous-Chef, in conjunction with the Executive Chef also determines the menu changes, equipment and ingredients that are necessary,
and handles special menu requests. He/she manages the kitchen staff in
compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to
sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
• Customer / Member Focus
• Team Work
• Quality Orientation
• Time Management
• Adaptability / Flexibility
• Creative and Innovative Thinking
• Decision Making and Judgment
• Planning and Organizing
• Problem Solving
• Accountability and Dependability
• Coaching and Mentoring
• Staff Management
• Enforcing Laws, Rules and Regulations
• Coach and provide leadership to all the staff of the kitchen ensuring the training and development of staff, providing input for performance, appraisals, and disciplinary action, according to the values and guidelines of Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.
• Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff.
• Train and develop all kitchen employees.
• Strong and effective communication with all departments
• Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas
• Supervise and participate in the production and plating of all food service areas, to maintain the best quality food style possible.
• Provide input for menus -- creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff -- to create a consistent and quality food product.
• Order an inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen.
• Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
• Respond in a positive and timely manner to all internal member and external guest requests and complaints.
• Maintain the highest departmental standards as determined by the Senior Management, and the clients of Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.
• Maintain product consistency by conducting inspections of seasonings, portion, and appearance of food.
• Oversee food deliveries to ensure the products have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by provincial health regulations.
• Manage inventories
Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our clients/customers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Quebecers with Disabilities Act (2004), and its associated standards and regulations.
Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club understands that we have a responsibility for ensuring a safe, dignified, and welcoming environment for everyone. We are committed to ensuring our organization's compliance by incorporating accessibility legislation into our policies, procedures, equipment requirements, training, and best practices. We will review these policies and practices annually, as organizational changes occur, or in anticipation of compliance deadlines. In addition, we will strive to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely and effective manner.
Providing an accessible and barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club is committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility for all a reality.
• Culinary Education
Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent preferred.
• Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
• Food Safe Certification.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience in an Sous-Chef position in a high volume and upscale member environment.
• Thorough background in casual dining, upscale dining and banquets
• Working knowledge of Maitre d' point of sale system. Knowledge of various POS is an asset.
• Food and beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
• Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
• Understanding of purchasing and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
• Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
• Effective decision-making skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, bilingual.
• Self-motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
• Previous Club experience is an asset.