Senior Sous-Chef, Marcus Restaurant & Lounge
Division: Food & Beverage
Reports to: Executive Chef, Marcus Restaurant & Lounge
Due to local laws, we prioritize applicants who have permission to work in Canada, and it is essential in both English and French, both orally and in writing.
The Four Seasons Hotel Montreal is looking for someone who shares our passion for excellence and seeks to create a memorable experience for our employees and guests. We are looking for a person who has a strong work ethic, a high level of integrity, a concern for quality, a cultural sensitivity and a sense of customer service.
We are looking for individuals who have a solid knowledge of food and are passionate to develop their management skills within the hotel industry, have creativity and flair and the ability to provide guidance to others, and can evidence good business acumen and a strong work ethic.
The Senior Sous Chef holds a senior-level management position within the kitchen department, reporting to the Executive Chef, and is responsible for supervising the day-to-day running of either the banqueting kitchen or the restaurant kitchen in the Hotel. The management of food costs and production control are important to reduce waste in addition to the culinary training that the Senior Sous Chef provides for all kitchen employees daily.
- Supports senior leadership by developing and assuming basic management responsibilities;
- Assumes the role of liaison between all departments within the culinary division and all other hotel departments;
- Supervises the preparation and cooking of various food items;
- Develops and implements creative menu items that adhere to Four Seasons brand standards;
- Manages kitchen employees through scheduling, payroll, training, coaching, evaluating and hiring;
- Leads and coaches the team towards achieving exceptional guest service and employee satisfaction results;
- Monitors food production, ordering, cost quality and consistency on a daily basis;
- Ensures proper safety and sanitation of all kitchen facilities and equipment;
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- MAPAQ certification is required for all kitchen positions
- Excellent communication and written skills in both French and English;
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills;
- "Do Whatever It Takes" attitude;
- Knowledge of inventory controls and food/labor cost;
- Willing to manage the kitchen with a "hands on" approach;
- Strong knowledge of back of the house operations including foods, beverages, staff supervision, inventory, and food safety;
- True passion for food and hospitality;
- Move about facility and stand for long periods of time;
- Must be available to work days, nights, and weekends as required;
- At least 3 - 5 years of Sous Chef experience in a full-service, structured dining establishment;
- Post-secondary diploma from an accredited cooking school, hotel management or related field.
What’s in it for you?
- Extended Health Coverage (dental, vision, life insurance, RMT, prescription drugs, etc.).
- Discounts at our MARCUS Restaurant and our 5 Star Spa.
- Employee themed recognition days and events such as Employee of the month, Service milestone celebrations, birthday events, and more!
- Complimentary meal per shift in our employee dining room (Café 1440).
- Retirement plan with employer contribution.
- Paid time off including sick days, vacation days and 2 additional floating holidays per year.
- Excellent training, development, and mobility opportunities.
- Employee Travel Program, including complimentary stays at Four Seasons globally (by length of service and subject to availability).
- And so much more!
The list of tasks specified above is not exhaustive, the function will require a constant adaptation to situations of high activity and specific management of customer relations.
*Our organization is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or any other basis protected under provincial or federal laws.