Executive Chef, Marcus Restaurant
Executive Chef – Marcus Restaurant
Division: Food & Beverage
Reports to: Executive Sous Chef
* Due to local laws, we prioritize applicants who have permission to work in Canada, and it is essential in both English and French, both orally and in writing.
The Four Seasons Hotel Montreal is looking for someone who shares our passion for excellence and seeks to create a memorable experience for our employees and guests. We are looking for a person who has a strong work ethic, a high level of integrity, a concern for quality, a cultural sensitivity and a sense of customer service. The Executive Chef – Marcus Restaurant brings with them a strong sense of responsibility, ownership and is a professional who is able to work across the various departments in the hotel to deliver a top-of-market experience.
Responsible for the quality, consistency and production of the kitchen. Exhibit culinary skills by personally performing tasks while directing staff. Coordinates menus, purchases, staffing and meal preparation for the establishment's restaurant. Work with the team to improve customer satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure that health and food standards are met. Develop and train the team to improve the results. Work in partnership with a celebrity chef for menu development. Understands how to operate in a hotel environment and has the ability to collaborate with the Executive Sous Chef of the hotel to ensure that cross-departmental relationships are strong and participation is an emphasis regardless of the challenge.
- Ensures that culinary standards and responsibilities are respected for restaurants;
- In-depth understanding of food cost control, including accurately costing items during menu development and the thorough use of menu engineering;
- Maintain control systems which will assure quality and portion consistency, monitor food shipments to ensure they meet established purchasing specifications as well and foster an awareness of the importance of food preparation and quality;
- Is a partner of the hotel, working with the Executive Sous Chef to ensure that employee productivity is a priority and Cost of Goods Sold minimized;
- Develops, designs or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems or products, including artistic contributions to restaurants, all in collaboration and with the approval of the team of the partner leader;
- Oversees restaurant change operations in restaurants and ensures compliance with all food and beverage policies, standards and procedures;
- Maintains food preparation and meets conservation standards;
- Recognizes products, presentations and flavors of superior quality;
- Plans and manages food quantities and restaurant setup requirements;
- Communicates production needs to key people;
- Develop daily and seasonal menus for the restaurant;
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations;
- Ensures proper handling and temperature of all food products;
- Estimate the daily production needs of restaurants;
- Prepares and cooks all kinds of food, either regularly or for special guests or receptions;
- Verifies the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure standards are being met;
- Determines how food is presented and creates decorative displays.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of cooks and workers involved in food preparation;
- Ensure that sanitation standards as set forth by Four Seasons, local, state, and federal regulations are in compliance as well as the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen;
- Control labor and operating expenses through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions, and inventory control;
- Uses interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence and encourage others; advocates sound financial and business decision-making; demonstrates honesty and integrity lead by example;
- Directs shift crews while personally preparing food and executing requests based on required specifications;
- Understands sufficiently the positions of employees to perform tasks in their absence;
- Encourages and strengthens mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members;
- Ensures and maintains the level of productivity of employees;
- Ensures employees receive cross-training to support successful day-to-day operations;
- Ensures that employees understand expectations and parameters;
- Establishes and maintains open collaborative relationships with employees and ensures that employees do the same on the team.
- Establishes and supports the achievement of kitchen objectives, including performance goals, budget objectives, team goals, etc.;
- Develop specific guidelines and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the day-to-day work of kitchen operations;
- Understands the impact of kitchen operation on the overall financial goals of the property and achieves or exceeds the budgeted goals;
- Attends weekly labor and other productivity/profitability meetings and is prepared to contribute;
- Conducts investigations, reports and accident monitoring of employees;
- Knows and implements corporate security standards;
- Provide exceptional customer service;
- Provides unparalleled services for customer satisfaction and retention;
- Manages day-to-day operations with respect for quality, standards and customer expectations on a daily basis;
- Improves service by communicating and helping people understand the needs of clients, providing advice, feedback and individual coaching when needed;
- Focuses on customer satisfaction at all service meetings and focuses on continuous improvement;
- Manages customer issues and complaints effectively and involves employees in resolution;
- Interacts with guests to get feedback on product quality and service levels.
Manage and lead human resources activities
- Serve as a strategic partner with the Marcus Restaurant Group (MSG), working alongside the group to create menu items, develop unique concepts and build a top-of-market experience;
- Identifies the development needs of others and encourages them to improve their knowledge or skills;
- Participates in training restaurant staff on menu items, including ingredients, methods of preparation and unique tastes;
- Manages procedures for progressive discipline of employees;
- Participate in the employee performance appraisal process by providing feedback as required;
- Uses all the on-the-job training tools available to employees;
- Assists in the interview and hiring of team members of employees with the appropriate skills.
• Provides information to supervisors, colleagues, and subordinates by phone, in writing, by email, or in person;
• Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems;
• Attends and participates in all relevant meetings.
Desired qualifications and skills
- Ability to communicate fluently in English and French, both orally and in writing;
- Have a good resistance to stress and manage it positively and effectively;
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced environment; Ability to manage stress effectively and deliver messages in a constructive manner during peak business volumes;
- Comprehensive understanding of food and beverage budgets;
- Demonstrate a very good team spirit
- Interest and ability to provide outstanding service to our internal, external customers and our suppliers;
- Have an excellent elocution, in French and English, and interpersonal skills to meet the expectations of a high-end clientele;
- Maintain a professional appearance and behave in a mature manner and with integrity at all times, including outside the hotel while on business;
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask in a dynamic environment;
- Be organized, meticulous and resourceful;
- Demonstrate creativity and initiative;
- Strong computer skills, including a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Lotus Notes;
- 3 to 4 year experience in a similar position;
- College diploma in hotel management, culinary arts or related field.
The list of tasks specified above is not exhaustive, the function will require a constant adaptation to situations of high activity and specific management of customer relations.