Offer published on Sep 11
Full Time / Hourly
Pâtisserie Hélène des Îles is the oldest, top rated and most celebrated artisanal Pâtisserie in the Les Iles de la Madeleine archipelago. Located on a tiny peninsula between La Petite Baie the sandy beaches on the Gulf of St. Lawrence, in an extremely high-traffic area of Havre Aux Maisons, Pâtisserie Hélène des Îles is a year-round artisanal French-inspired bakery frequented by locals, seasonal residents and tourists alike.
Situated where the Gulf of St. Lawrence meets the Atlantic Ocean, the windswept Les Iles de la Madeleine archipelago boast more kilometers of sandy beach than roads. The islands are known for their blood-red cliffs, warm shallow waters, extraordinary culinary tradition, and world class sailing, scuba diving and kite surfing. Les Iles de la Madeleine is a major global tourist destination and home to a proud community of sea-faring Acadians as well as many well-known seasonal residents.
About the Pâtisserie
Founded nearly 20 years ago as the first classic French-inspired Pâtisserie in les Iles de la Madeleine, Pâtisserie Hélène des Îles has remained a boutique artisanal business while growing substantially. We have a small kitchen and produce small quantities of baked goods, always made by hand, always fresh every day, and always with the absolute best quality ingredients. This simple formula has worked extremely well for us. There is not a day during the busy summer tourist season when we do not have a long line out the door and around the corner, rain or shine, and it is rare for the length of the line to decrease during the day.
Pâtisserie Hélène des Îles was founded by Hélène Arseneau, a graduate of ITHQ in Montreal and a classically trained French-style pastry chef with experience working in both France and Canada. Hélène remains extremely involved in the day-to-day operations of the Pâtisserie, ensuring everything produced meets her exacting standards for quality. She loves helping, teaching and managing the staff, and strives to create a warm, family-like atmosphere in the kitchen. She rewards creativity and initiative, and believes her most important skill as proprietor and manager is listening to her hard-working team.
What we’re looking for:
Pâtisserie Hélène des Îles is hiring an individual to manage the front-of house operations; sales, customer service, etc. as well as help in the kitchen operations of the Pâtisserie. We envision that 70% of the job will be customer-facing and 30% will be helping with production.
· Greeting customers and explaining the items for sale at the pâtisserie
· Taking customer orders, wrapping and packing their orders and charging customers
· Making customers feel welcome in our boutique
· Packaging baked goods for sale later in the day
· Maintaining a clean, organized and orderly boutique
· Operating our POS system
· Managing part-time boutique staff
· Helping to plan and organize operations in the front-of-house / sales area.
· Preparation and packaging of jams, chocolates, caramel, and other items sold in the boutique
· Occasional help with baking
· Carry out a daily inspection of the boutique area and ensure cleanliness, and the application of hygiene, sanitation, health and safety standards by all staff members in the boutique
The Boutique opens at 9:30 AM, 3 to 5 days per week, 10 months per year. During the summer season, hours can be longer than usual. Generally you will not be asked to work more than 40 hours per week. The Patisserie is closed for two months per year (November and January) and no work is required during the months we are closed.
Hourly compensation of $20.00 per hour plus tips. Housing is not provided for this role.
· Fluency in French – absolutely non-negotiable. The Pâtisserie is located on a French-speaking island and many of the staff speak only French
· Ability to legally work in Canada. We will not sponsor visas for this position.
· Experience in a sales-focused, client-facing role
Good to have but not required:
· Experience in pastry shops
· Experience with various POS systems used in retail
· Conversational fluency in English
· Understanding of HAACP, food safety & clean work environment